Turkey Chestnut Salad
10 ounces fresh chestnuts in their shells (about 3 dozen chestnuts)
1 lbs. skinless cooked turkey breast, cut into bite size chunks
4 beets, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces.
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on beets
2 Tbsp. organic butter
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
2 cups organic chicken stock (you can make this yourself by boiling chicken and chicken bones)
2 cups yellow bell peppers, chopped up
1.5 cups diced celery
¾ tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. sea salt
One head romaine lettuce, cut into bite size pieces or two bags cut organic romaine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place beets on a piece of tin foil on a cooking sheet.
3. Drizzle lightly with oil and add a small amount of sea salt.
4. Wrap the beets in foil completely and cook through. Approximately 25-30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut an “X” in each of the chestnuts on the flat side.
6. In a sauce pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the chestnuts. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until chestnuts feel tender when poked with a knife.
7. When the chestnuts are cooked, drain the water and transfer to a bowl. Let chestnuts cool or run under cold water. Remove and discard the outer shell and inner skin. Break chestnuts into halves and/or pieces.
8. Heat up a medium sized saucepan and melt the butter and the flour and heat, stirring until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Gradually, stir in the chicken stock.
9. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the gravy is thickened. Stir in the bell peppers, celery, thyme and sea salt. Simmer the mixture 1-2 minutes more, to cook vegetables. Add the cooked turkey and roasted beets.
10. Place the cut romaine in a big salad bowl and cover with chestnuts. Place the turkey-beet-gravy mixture in a serving dish. Serve romaine and chestnut salad to be topped with turkey-beet-gravy.
This is a delicious lunch or dinner! Variation: prepare same meal, without the beets.