Healthy Pumpkin Spice Pie
Servings: Makes one pie
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Pie Crust
1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour 1 cup flour (you can substitute almond or coconut flour) ½ cup rolled oats, buzzed in blender to make oat flour ½ tsp. sea salt ½ cup organic coconut oil 4-6 tbsp. fresh apple juice
Directions for Pumpkin Spice Pie Crust
Sift flours, oat flour and sea salt. Rub in the coconut oil until flour forms into tiny balls. Drizzle cold juice over flour mixture. With a fork, allow dough to form into 1 ball. Knead gently 1-2 minutes to smooth. Divide dough in half and refrigerate ½ hour. Roll out between waxed paper 2 inches larger than pie pan.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Pie Filling
1 pumpkin, buttercup or butternut squash, washed
2 cage free eggs
¼ cup arrowroot or kuzu (healthy cornstarch substitute available at health food store)
½ to 1 cup fresh apple juice
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cloves
½ tsp. ginger
½ cup raw, chopped walnuts, dry roasted in skillet
optional: 1 dropperful pure Stevia (Nu Naturals or Sweet Leaf, liquid only)
Directions for Pumpkin Spice Pie Filling
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut pumpkin or winter squash in half and remove seeds.
3. Oil baking dish and add water just to cover bottom of pan.
4. Place pumpkin or squash into pan, cut side down.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour until a fork easily pierces the skin.
6. Dissolve arrowroot in ½ cup juice.
7. Blend with eggs, sea salt and spices
8. Scoop out cooked pumpkin or squash, without skin and puree in blender.
9. Add egg mixture and blend.
10. Add juice as needed to make thick puree.
11. Fill both pie crusts. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
12. Garnish with chopped walnuts.
13. Cool and serve.
Enjoy this delicious healthy pumpkin spice pie recipe!